Planning and scoping
- Research and maintain a thorough knowledge of the current funding and fundraising developments, trends and networks within Tanzania and the East African region.
- Lead on the development of the organisation in-country fundraising strategy and review and update the strategy on an annual basis.
- Lead on the development of a 3 year fundraising plan to support the fundraising strategy and update the plan on a quarterly basis. This fundraising plan will identify key income generating opportunities and activity plans to maximise income from these opportunities, including a resource plan and budget.
- Continually conduct scoping of new funding opportunities from statutory, corporate and high net worth funders and foundations and maintain these opportunities in a live funding database.
Delivering against income targets
- Deliver on targets for fundraising from statutory donors, foundations, corporates, and high-net-worth individuals at country level, working within agreed expenditure budgets.
- Seek, anticipate, plan and respond to funding opportunities from statutory donors/foundations.
- Oversee and coordinate the development of concept notes, expressions of interest and proposals, including written applications, project Logframes, budgets and supporting documents (in close collaboration with the Tanzania team and relevant UK based staff)
- Ensure that proposals are compliant with donor requirements and are highly competitive.
- Maintain a strong focus on medium to large-scale funding opportunities (over £300k), including the identification and realisation of consortium funding opportunities.
- Ensure that the fundraising activities undertaken are effective and efficient and that their financial contribution is maximised, aiming to obtain full cost recovery in all proposals.
Grant management and reporting
- Manage and develop relationships with grant account managers for all in-country funded grants under your remit.
- Maintain an overview of the progress of all grants under your management and maintain strong donor relationships in order to manage donors’ expectations.
- Coordinate the development and submission of financial and narrative reports to donors ensuring compliance with all reporting requirements and deadlines.
- Check financial reports prepared by the Finance and Admin Officer before submission to donors.
- Keep track of donor portfolios (e.g. management systems for communications, reporting etc.)
Raising organisation profile and build funding partnerships
- Ensure that programmes have a high profile among donor communities and development networks.
- Develop relationships with potential consortia to jointly develop proposals.
- Establish, build and maintain partnerships with corporates and major donors at national, regional and international levels with the view of achieving fruitful long-term relationships.
- Assist the Country Director with developing relationships with High-Net-Worth individuals.
Networking internally and externally
- Have monthly calls with the Programme Funding Manager in Kenya, and when required with Programme Funding Managers in the UK, for mentoring and to ensure coordination of all fundraising efforts.
- Ensure that an accurate and timely overview of fundraising efforts and achievements are shared with the offices of organisation UK, Kenya, and Uganda through regular (quarterly) reporting and analysis of fundraising activity and results, including income and expenditure updates and forecasts.
- Update the Fundraising against Targets (FATs) spreadsheet on a monthly basis and share with the UK team.
- Work with the team in Uganda, Kenya and UK based fundraising departments to strengthen and sustain partnerships with restricted income donors that are based outside of Tanzania, but which have an interest in directly supporting our work in Tanzania.
- Facilitate sharing of information among country teams in East Africa to ensure maximum appropriate involvement around specific donor opportunities and proposal development.
- Plan and prepare annual budgets in conjunction with the Tanzania country team and the UK team, monitor performance and take remedial action where necessary ensuring the achievement of net income targets.
- Support fundraising activities in the UK by liaising with local donor offices and contribute to writing drafts for statutory fundraising applications in the UK.
- Contribute to the development of a comprehensive portfolio of project information for Tanzania, in consultation with the relevant colleagues which can be used to develop funding proposals.
- Build confidence and excitement in work and vision both internally and externally.