Reports to: Director of Sense International (based in London)
Location: Dar es Salaam with domestic, and occasionally, regional and international travel.
Responsible for: Managing the Sense International Tanzania team.
Line reports: Programme Manager, Programme Funding Manager, Finance and Administration Officer
- Reviewing and developing the strategic direction in conjunction with the Director of SI and providing support for Governance
- Leadership and governance support
- Provide leadership, shaping organisational strategic direction in collaboration with the Board of Sense International Tanzania.
- Support good governance of the organisation by the Board of Sense International Tanzania, including support to Board meetings and AGMs.
- Ensure programmes in Tanzania are delivered and aligned with Sense International’s global strategic framework and Sense International Tanzania’s priority areas.
- Programme oversight
- Provide overall leadership to the team on programme implementation.
- Align the team to the strategic objectives by setting and managing annual work plans and budgets.
- Ensure that Sense International Tanzania has agreements in place with the Government of Tanzania to achieve its goals.
- Financial Management and reporting
- Ensure strong budgeting, disbursement, reporting and forecasting.
- Ensure financial risks are managed working with the Finance and Administration Officer and Sense International UK Finance team e.g. on tax compliance, accounting balances, procurement and exchange rate fluctuations, etc.
- Grant / Contract Management
- Ensure that effective grant management systems are in place which deliver compliance with grant conditions.
- Ensure submission of accurate and timely reports complying with grant agreements.
- Resource mobilisation, partnerships and alliances
- Overall responsibility for annual ‘in-country’ fundraising targets.
With the Programme Funding Manager:
- Work collaboratively to develop creative fundraising activities to increase and diversity funding and deepen relationships with donors and supporters.
- Advocacy, representation and communications
- work of Sense International Tanzania at the Government and sector level.
- Build strong professional relationships with key stakeholders championing the course of persons with deafblindness and multi-sensory impairments.
- Keep the advocacy strategy up to date and advocate for legislative, policy and other change.
- Raise awareness of deafblindness among Government, (I)NGOs, parents,
- Human Resource Management
- Oversee performance management and ongoing capacity building and professional development for the Sense International Tanzania staff team.
- Lead the recruitment of in-country staff, in consultation with Sense International’s Senior Programme Manager for East Africa.
- Accountability, compliance and learning
- Accountable for the effective and efficient running of Sense International Tanzania overall, and for ensuring transparency and compliance with organisational policies at all levels.
- Ensure strong implementation of Sense International’s Safeguarding policies
Experience and achievements
Degree in Business Administration, Social Science, Development Studies, or a related field.
A post graduate qualification in international development, human rights, community or disability or a related field is an advantage.
At least 7 to10 years minimum working experience in the social or international development field, a number of which must be in a senior management position.
Experience of working with people with a disability and responsibility for the protection of children or vulnerable adults.
Demonstrated experience with programme and grant management, including project planning and budgeting, initiation, implementation, reporting and closure.
Involvement in the strategic development of development programmes working within an international NGO or similar, including demonstrated experience of supporting scale up, programme expansion, innovation, conducting due diligence reviews of potential partner organisations and overseeing evaluations.