The United Nations Office in Tanzania is establishing a roster of various functionalities one of which is Senior Administrative Associate. The successful candidates’ profiles shall be kept in the roster to be used by UN Agencies in Tanzania looking to recruit for this function. The candidates’ profiles shall be valid for 2 years.
The Associate Administrative Officer is responsible for supporting the Office/Bureau in the implementation of general administrative and resource management tasks. S/he will work quite independently on regular assignments with an oversight from the supervisor, who will provide general guidance and work plans for identifying work priorities and appropriate approaches; work is controlled for meeting expected results.
S/he will establish and maintain efficient administrative control mechanisms to ensure compliance with UN administrative, financial and human resources rules and procedures. Contacts on administrative/budgetary related issues are mainly with Sections/Units/Offices within the organization both at HQ and in the Field and with local suppliers/services to ensure provision of services and resolution of difficult problems.
Frequent external contacts with counterparts in other organizations or at working level in national Governments on issues of importance to Organization’s programmes. He/she acts as adviser or representative of the Organization with authority to discuss problems and seek common ground on which to recommend solutions based on predetermined guidelines provided by higher authority.
The incumbent directly supervises general service staff.
All UN staff members are accountable to perform their duties as reflected in their job description. They do so within their delegated authorities, in line with the regulatory framework of UN which includes the UN Charter, UN Staff Regulations and Rules and respective UN Policies and Administrative Instructions as well as relevant accountability frameworks. In addition, staff members are required to discharge their responsibilities in a manner consistent with the core, functional, cross-functional and managerial competencies and the UN core values of professionalism, integrity and respect for diversity.
- Contribute to the assessment of budgetary needs for administrative budgets (ABOD); monitor and control ABOD expenditure in the office.
- Analyze, evaluate and control disbursements/receipts, as well as expenditure variances against approved budgets.
- Review vouchers, including ABOD and project disbursements.
- Propose monthly cash requirements for the office, and ensure adequate and timely replenishments of funds;
- Contribute to the preparation and processing of monthly accounts.
- Provide financial status reports to supervisors.
- Analyze and evaluate all financial reports produced on a regular basis.
- Maintain effective business relationships with local banks.
- Support ensuring compliance with UN Financial Regulations and Rules, policies and procedures.
- Ensure that payments are effectuated by the monthly deadline.
- Ensure that monthly accounts are correct and approved, and ensure timely monthly bank reconciliations, including open items, review and clearance of unwanted requisitions and PO balances.
- Conduct regular checks of petty cash and cash accounts.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Undergraduate degree (equivalent of a BA/BS) in Accounting, Finance, or Public or Business Administration, Economics or related field, OR undergraduate degree in another field combined with a professional qualification in accounting or finance (CPA/CIA or equivalent) plus minimum one year of previous job experience in the field of accounting or finance. Graduate degree (equivalent of a Master’s) or Doctorate degree (equivalent of a PhD) may also be accepted.
- Excellent computer skills, in particular in MS Office applications.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English.
Relevant Job Experience
- Work experience in at least one of the following fields: Administration, Budget, Finance, and Procurement. Excellent computer skills, in particular in MS Office applications.
- Professional qualification in accounting or finance (CPA/CIA or equivalent).
- Working experience of at least one year in an intergovernmental organization (United Nations or similar).
- Good knowledge of United Nations financial rules and procedures.
- Good understanding of accrual accounting (such as IPSAS or IFRS).
- Working experience with PeopleSoft/Oracle Financial modules.
- Knowledge of additional UN languages.
- FI-Financial Management
- FI-Funds Monitoring/Identifying Cash Flow Problems
- MG-Office Management
- RM-Resource Management
- UN- Financial Rules and Regulations and Procedures
How to Apply
In order to submit your application create an account on Radar website by clicking ''I'm interested'' button.
Your application letter should state the relevant Reference number in the subject line and be addressed to;
The Human Resources Working Group
One UN Office in Tanzania
Dar es Salaam
The closing date for application is 07 October 2020
Notice: There is no application, processing or other fee at any stage of the application process.